It can be confusing for a student to understand what qualifications and accreditations are required to work in an Early Childhood Education and Care Service. A question I am often asked by students commencing training is ‘when can I start working with children?’ Well the answer is: students are required to either have or be actively working towards an early childhood qualification and hold current accreditations.
Early childhood educators working directly with children are required to have or to be ‘actively working towards’ an early childhood qualification in accordance with Australian Children’s Education & Care Quality Authority (ACEQA) www.acecqa.gov.au. The two early childhood qualifications offered through registered training organisations are:
- CHC30113 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care (entry level)
- CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (leadership qualification)
What is ‘actively working towards’?
To be considered actively working towards an approved Certificate III level qualification, a student must be able to provide documentary evidence from their course provider to the approved provider of the education and care service that they are:
- enrolled in the course and have started study
- making satisfactory progress towards completing the course
- meeting the requirements to maintain enrolment
To be considered activity working towards an approved Diploma level qualification a student must be able to satisfy all the above requirements and then one of the following:
- hold an approved certificate III level qualification or
- have completed the approved Certificate III units or
- have completed 30% of the units in an approved Early Childhood Teacher qualification
Education and care services will also require that educators have these current accreditations:
- Current approved first aid qualification
- Undertaken current approved anaphylaxis management training
- Undertaken current approved emergency asthma management training.
At Education Institute our early childhood qualifications also include the required accreditations; this means that students do not have to find a separate training provider to complete these important accreditations. Our early childhood training courses support our students to meet these required qualification and accreditation requirements set out by ACEQA to successfully enter the early childhood sector.